Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Mockery -- Part 1

A little over a week ago as I was driving to see Batman Begins I answered my cell phone and found myself in a lovely conversation with Christina Akers, the director and playwright of the upcoming Fringe show, The Mockery. Because I was driving at the time, I wasn't able to take copious notes on the back-and-forth, so I'm going to keep the details in today's column a bit vague and general so I don't get any of the info wrong.

First off, here's something I can't get wrong... a photo having to do with the production, provided by the director:

Now, from the photo, I can't really tell you what the play is about, but it is something interesting to look at, isn't it? From what I know about the show the back drop pieces are related to Paris, France. That would be because the plot revolves aroudn the King of France, and an affair that he conducts with a mime. There's more to it than that, but again, my details can't be too specific today. Next Wednesday specificity will abound, I promise! Not only did Ms. Akers send me some photographs, she also sent me a copy of the script that I'll be perusing before next week's column, as well.

Let me share what else I do know... A shorter version of this play debuted last year at the Xperimental Theatre at the University of Minnesota. While a handful of the original cast is still involved, this production will feature a bunch of new folks as well. This is a piece of musical theatre, and it will be performed at the BLB, which means that the show will be 90 minutes long. The original script that Akers has been working on for a couple of years now is longer yet, and so this is an editted down version of the story as she originally envisioned it. However, since a whopping 30 minutes are being added back in for the Fringe, this is closer to that original vision than her "X" production was.

Akers is currently enrolled at the University, so if you want to see some of the products of the program there, this show would be one to catch. I for one always like to see what new talent is coming out of our local schools. It is fun to catch a diamond in the rough. The Fringe is a good place to do that anyway, but productions from people who are currently students are doubly filled with that potential.

More to come on Wednesday next!

Only a brief moment of randomness:
  • I'm waaaaaay behind on my reading that I have to have done before Iarrive in Spain. The only good thing that I've got going for me at the moment is a 10-hour layover in Miami, so I'll be able to get a good chunk of reading done then. But, really, I'm still way behind. Too much pressure!
  • "I wanna dance with somebody! I wanna feel the heat with somebody!" -- Whitney Houston
  • I registered my car today (read: got new plate tabs), and the wait in the express line (TABS ONLY!!!) was actually far longer than the wait for the normal counter. My number was called for the standard slow service before I made it to the front of the express line. I'm assuming that this has more to do with the fact that the government is shutting down in two days so everyone and their dog was there to renew their tabs. But, who knows, really? I've come to believe that express lanes, in general, are slower than normal lanes. This seems especially true in grocery stores. Here's the way I figure it: It isn't the number of items being run over a scanner that takes so much time, it is the running of the credit cards. So, a line of a whole bunch of folks with 10-items-or-less all paying with they debit/credit cards actually takes longer than a line of people with a normal amount of groceries. My suggestion would be to make the express lanes cash-only. This would speed the process immensely, and make them express again.
  • Are you hooked on facts? I know I am: "In Kentucky, 50% of the people who get married for the first time are teenagers. " -- I was born in Kentucky, and every time I hear another fact about that state I grow more grateful to my parents for having the sense to move away from there when I was four.
  • Liz Smith of Cosmopolitan once declared the movie Benji, "The most entertaining family picture of our time. Maybe of all time."
  • 4 days till touchdown in Madrid.

No comments: