Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Cat Came Back -- Part 1

Let's travel back in time a bit. The year is 1981. I am residing in Indianapolis, Indiana. My mother has checked a book out from the library and plays a song on the piano that is printed on the inside of the book's cover. Jumping ahead to 1999. David Lind and I are both teaching for SteppingStone Theatre for Youth Development, and meet at St. Paul Central High School. Jumping ahead again, talking to David about his Fringe project for this year, I discover that my memory harkens back to that song my mom was playing on the piano...The Cat Came Back!

Zealots and Mystics, the company that is headed by Mr. Lind, is putting together a show that is loosely based on the children's song by the same title.

Now... a word... this isn't a children's show. It has a bulldog pimp in it for goodness sake! This is a story of what happens to the cat between the times when it has been kicked out and it returns. The cat, who will be played by Mariah Christensen, is a lounge singer who will treat the audience to songs throughout the play.

David Lind, as many of you know runs TC Theatre and Film. He also teaches classes in the Michael Chekhov method of acting. And so he's assembled a cast of folks who have all worked with him before and are comfortable in that method. The cast includes Bill Gorman, Ted Anderson, Scot Moore, and Kortney Simpson...as well as the afore mentioned Ms. Christensen.

I've personally never worked with Anderson, Moore, Simpson, or Christensen, but I have worked with Mr. Gorman, and that was a treat. I've also acted in a show that David directed, and I can tell you that I still use some of the things I learned from him every time I hit the stage. So, I'm looking forward to seeing others who he's led through the Chekhov process and into this work.

The first all-cast meeting for this group of thespians is coming up this weekend, a read-through and a bit of music previewing will take place. That's where they are at in the process. As the weeks go on, I'll update you more as to where they are headed.

The Show: The Cat Came Back

The Company: Zealots and Mystics

The Venue: Bryant-Lake Bowl

Okay! Brief random crap:

Tonight is the dress rehearsal for my daughter's dance recital.

Cross you fingers for me, I bought 5 chances at the Powerball drawing.

As I was walking down my alley this morning, I couldn't help but notice the fragrance of lilacs all over. It was wonderful. There is this very short time each year that makes me happier than any other. It has to do with lilacs, and it is wonderful. It'll be a shame when the lilac flowers are gone again in the next few weeks.

The answer to your last question was, "Yes, indeed."

I really like wearing red shirts with beige pants. It troubles me that this is the uniform of those at Target. I end up not wearing one of my favorite outfits because I'm afraid folks will mistake me for a Target employee.

Random Trivia time, from the random trivia generator known as Hooked on Facts: "'Second Street' is the most common street name in the U.S.; 'First Street' is the sixth!" -- Sounds like St. Paul wasn't the only place laid out by drunken Irishmen, then, eh?

No comments: