Thursday, February 02, 2006

Two days ago & four days from now...

So... I did it. That's right! I submitted my application to the 2006 Minnesota Fringe Festival to produce a show. Now I wait for the lottery on Monday the 6th. I am not alone while I wait. Two hundred eighty-three other folks submitted applications this year. That's about 40 shows more than last year's lottery according to the e-mail I just got from Mark Franko at the Fringe office. I didn't get in last year. I'd just like to point that out. Forty more shows in the drawing...that's got to affect the odds. One hundred and fifty shows are going to get into the Fringe this year. So my odds are just a smidgen better that 50-50 of getting in. The whole thing is a crap-shoot. And that's the way that it is supposed to be!

One of the best things about the Minnesota Fringe Festival is that the selection of shows and companies is entirely non-juried. The folks down at teh home office keep things fair through the lottery. Last year was the first time they tried the lottery, and we were treated to a bunch of companies that had never been involved before, while some old favorites didn't get a slot at all. I didn't last year. This year, my luck might change. It is reassuring that I have the same chance of getting into this thing as Ari Hoptman (also excluded from producing last year) or Joe Scrimshaw (made it in again last year).

I was initially planning on video-taping the festivities of teh Fringe Lottery, but I've now made a commitment to be elsewhere, and will be unable to attend. But, you can bet your bippy that I'll be eagerly looking at that list as it comes out on the 8th via e-mail. And I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, cross your fingers for ping-pong ball #223.

Well, time for something random, I guess:
I have seen a couple of shows recently that I should mention: Aladdin Jr at the Children's Theatre Company was terrific. I especially want to send "props" to Stephen Young, who ran the puppet of Iago. My daughter really enjoyed the puppet during the play, and loved when Mr. Young popped out for curtain call. The other show I need to mention is "We Gotta Bingo." It's playing in the Lowry building in Downtown St. Paul. Go see it. It is very funny, very fun, and it has good people in it. It was soooooo good to see Robin Hart, Brandon Williams, and Ellen Karsten doing their thing. The others were good, too.
I got a Mad-Libs daily calendar for X-mas this past December. It's a lot of fun thus far. For tomorrow I have to come up with an adjective, a verb ending in -ing, two singular nouns and one plural noun.
There is a certain story-teller in town who needs to give me a call. I still owe her an evening of Scotch-tasting at the Town Hall.
A fact from http://www.hookedonfacts.com">Hooked on Facts: "Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave." -- Unless, of course, you neglect to turn the thing on.
School is back in session for the University of New Orleans!
I can't say I've never won anything when entering drawings. I once won a small handheld electronic game (back in 1981-ish) and in 1999 I won a gas-grill BBQ. I truly fear that my luck has run out for such things.
It was a lot of fun being part of the last seires of "Thirst Theatre." Now that the next seires is up and going, I'm feeling lonely on Monday nights. I'm thinking I have to coordinate a group outing to Thirst in a week or two.

No comments: