Wednesday, July 01, 2009

At It Again -- Like Riding a Bike

Back in 2004 the Minnesota Fringe Festival had a group of us start writing columns (blogs, if you will) for their website. The varied groups of people who participated in this were performers, producers, fans, and critics. The idea was to promote the Fringe and give varied views of how the whole thing worked from the inside out.

My column, as you probably know, was called "Fringe By Numbers". The whole idea was that I'd attend randomly determined plays by using charts and dice to plan out my daily schedule. It was well received and I gained a following of regular readers.

Then 2007 rolled around. I was offered a role in a musical out of town. I took a one-year hiatus from the task of blogging the Fringe (although, I did write a few "secret" guest-blogger columns as part of Kate Hoff's column that year). When I was ready to return to the job in 2008, I was met with a bit of a surprise. The Fringe Festival was getting out of the business of hosting the League of Extraordinary Fringers, as we'd come to be known. Many of my compatriots had their columns transferred over to TC Daily Planet where they continued to write. My column was picked up by the City Pages (one of the perennial Festival sponsors).

This year, whether due to the City Pages no longer publishing the annual Fringe guide, or some other reason, I am not writing for them. Nevertheless, I am going to be covering the Fringe Festival in all its glory. I am working diligently to find a host for this column with one of the major press outlets. I'll know shortly where we'll be calling home. In the meantime, I'll be here at the old hitchin' post doing my warm-up calisthenics. Keep checking back.

The Minnesota Fringe Festival website went live today, and that means there's all sorts of stuff coming your way. You do not want to miss out on all the buzz, all the excitement, and all the wild randomosity that will follow.

No comments: