Friday, July 30, 2004

What is a d20?

Allright, so there have been some questions about what on Earth a d20 is.  And since the whole jist of my blog depends on this item, I thought I'd let you in on an important piece of knowledge.    The following picture is very important:

Those are dice.  I imagine you could've figured that out, but just to be safe, I told you.  Now, those dice are in order from bottom-left to top-right: 4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, 12-sided, 10-sided (percentile), 10-sided (standard), 20-sided, and another 10-sided (percentile).  Most people are familiar with a 6-sided die.  It is the little cube shaped die that comes in games like Monopoly.  The one that we're going to be worrying about for this column is the white-colored polyhedron.  It has 20 sides and is numbered 1-20.  It is also the die that an entire system of role-playing games is based on...called the d20 system.   Hope that explains it to some degree!

Later today, or sometime tomorrow, I'll be giving my tables and dice a test run and let you know what I may or may not see on the first few days of the Fringe.




No comments: