Sunday, July 16, 2006

Civil war outside my window...

So... I never thought I'd say this, but I'm writing this to the sound of heavy artillery all around me. Given the current situation on the world scene, there is something seriously disturbing about hearing cannons being fired, and bombs exploding in Madrid.

But, as I just remembered, it is just after midnight here, and it is the beginning of July 17th. This is the 70th anniversary of the Spanish Civil War. Seventy years ago today a complete nut-job named Francisco Franco started his reign that turned Spain into the most backward of all European nations. He tried to brainwash an entire populace to desire the return of Spain's glory days (read: 1492).

Franco was not a good man, but he did have a profound effect on this nation where I am studying tonight.

I have to wonder at the fact that folks celebrate the beginning of his administration/dictatorship. And yet, I am glad taht what I was hearing tonight was tied to something that far in the past, and not something potentially connected to the events of teh present. No sirens sounded at the first explosions because the guns were firing blanks and the bombs were actually fireworks. But, I must tell you, I still flinched a bit at each thundering bang.

I have tons of homework tonight, or I'd write more. I'm saving up all sorts of stuff. Tomorrow night I'll write about Nancy Donoval's/Hardcover Theatre's production at length, and briefly touch on a couple of others as well. All that, and your regular dose of randomnimity!

No comments: