Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Dancing Rats and Vampire Moms -- Part 1

Since my first involvement in the world of Fringe back so long ago in 1999, the methods of publicizing have changed greatly. The methods of gaining a following have changed greatly. And the ability for folks who aren't in the Fringe clique to get their name out has changed greatly, and not necessarily for the better.

Once upon a time, the Fringe Festival's web presence was a non-factor in producing a show. You got word of mouth going by way of having a good show and people eharing about it and comoing to see it. These days certain companies have mastered the ideas behind making sure that their show pops up on every other show's page, and stirring up buzz by manipulating the system to their advantage by wisely utilizing the "My Calendar" function on the website. If you don't know what I mean, I can give you lessons later...but... here's the thing. Some folks have been around just as long, if not longer, than those who have recently seemed to be perenial fringe performers. And if the festival functioned in the way that it did back at the turn of the millenium, they'd be seen as equal giants as some who've surpassed them.

What the hell are you talking about, Chris? That's what you're saying right now, isn't it. Well... Good... let me tell you: Nancy Donoval is one of the top story-tellers in the nation. We have a treasure here in the Fringe that very few people know about. And yet,this isn't the first time she's done the fringe. And those who have seen her shows know that she can have a tremendous effect on her audience.

In the past Nancy has self-produced her shows, and/or put them up with her friend Gerald Fierst. And they have been amazing shows. The word of mouth in certain circles is great for Nancy, but in circles revolving around all things Fringy, that reputation has been slower to take off. Why?

Well, I believe that part of it comes down to how one does marketing in this day and age, and frankly certain things work better on the internet than others. And the other part of it is the part that I can have some effect on...at least I hope I can. For whatever reason, story-telling gets an odd rap during the Fringe. Many theatre afficianados will go to a one-person show but not to a story-teller. Why? Apparently they don't realize that a story-teller is a one-person show. And that often times the story-teller is going to be better, because it's what they do...all the time. Many of the one-man or one-woman shows you see at the Fringe are complete and utter crap (sorry folks, it's true). Nevertheless, folks go to those productions. Before I get off my little soapbox here and actually tell you about Nancy's show, let me say this... if you're tempted to go see a one-man show about some person's life who sounds like they might be funny, but it isn't entirely clear what they might have to say... skip it...go see Nancy or one of the other story-tellers instead. You'll be happy that you did.

Okay... Now... A few months ago (let's say three, just for fun), Hardcover Theatre put out a call to TC theatre folk to see who might want to have their show produced by that company. Nancy was among a group of folks who applied for that honor. I know others who didn't have their play selected, so I can only assume that it was a hard decision that resulted in Nancy being chosen. Once she was, she put together a docket of three stories around the theme of "Dangerous Mothers."

Of the three stories, I've listened to two on Nancy's CDs. They are good stories that I can only imagine grow in value when told live. One story is a folk tale, one is a story by an award-winning author, and the third is a personal narrative.

I guess I should mention what the titles are, eh? Oprah Meets Snow White is a slightly more malevolent retelling of the classic "Who's the fairest of them all?" tale. Mama Gone by Jane Yolen is a vampire story that brings new meaning to the saying that blood is thicker than water. And The Dancing Rat of Paris is a story about Nancy and her own mother. The only one that I'm not familiar with is Mama Gone. It is on a tape that I listened to once upon a time, but oddly enough, I don't have a cassette deck with me here in Spain. But I can tell you that either of the other two I could listen to a number more times and get something new out of it each time.

It's a little difficult for me to write about how Nancy is getting her pieces ready, because when it comes down to it, these are stories she's told many times before. This specific arrangement of tales is a first, though.

I think you'd be remiss in your fringing duties if you missed her show.

For all the details go Here

And now...Random things from a realm beyond.

So... fellow blogger Matthew Everett has a TV show on which he features fringy things... here's a video clip of the show that I'm producing:



I've promised folks that I'd update them as to how thinge are going over here in Spain: They are going well. It is still hot and dry, although we've now had three cloudy days. That's 3 more than last year. About ten minutes ago there was some thunder and lightning, but no rain. Beyond the weather report I've gone on side trips to Toledo and Granada, and both were very interesting, but if I ever have to sit through a walking tour of three churches in a 4 hour period again, I'll probably burst into flame right on the spot. More on Spain soon... you might be afraid just how soon!

Whilst in Granada I descended into the crypt of Ferdinand and Isabel (and Felippe I & Juana la Loca) and I have to tell you how glad I was that their bodies are in caskets. I was afraid that they were going to be skeletons laying out on stone slabs, and that was going to make me muy unhappy.

It is a little known fact that I am hooked on facts!: "Heineken beer is designed to 'foam' for exactly five minutes." -- So essentially, if you have sex folowed by a beer, there's a good chance that the head you get second will last longer than the head you got first! (Okay... My apologies for what may very well be the worst joke to come out of my brain...ever).

Something I heard the other day that has absolutely no context: "They are sooo stuck in stage nine!"

I bought myself three shirts while in Granada. One that features this guy:

www.skype.com is a wonderful thing, that if you've not discovered it yet, you might consider it...especially if you are planning on leaving the country for an extended period of time.

Pavo Salchicha!

What is your threshold moment?

Blue diamonds!

My daughter is learning how to play the violin. I was initially afraid that was going to be a dreadful thing to have to listen to, but I really enjoy hearing it. Internet connections are so useful. I bought her the violin a week before I left town, and I've still been able to follow her musical development.

Despite not being in town for the entire month of July, I'm somehow booked with a play that starts rehearsing in August, and a movie that is filming in October. I'm really quite jazzed about this fall!

No comments: