Saturday, July 22, 2006

Higher Power -- Part 1

So... I normally don't get the honor of writing about the out-of-towners. When it comes down to it, they don't send me stuff. I'm not sure why. This year, though, one of them crossed into the realm of my e-mail (really my Myspace messages) and fed me some info to feed to you (should probably find different verbs for that last sentence, I sound like a regurgitating mama bird...yuck!)

Anyway... The play's called Higher Power. The producing company is made up of a couple of friends who originally hail from Kansas City, MO...although they've been recently spending some quality time in New York as part of the Dramatic Writing program at NYU.

Their last show was titled Dice, which instantly scores them points with me.

The folks at Little Red Square (the aforementioned duo from KC/NYU) are doing somthing that I've always thought would be fun, they're going to take their show to more than one Fringe Festival. They're doing this show at the KC Fest, the NYC Fest, and our little shindig, too.

So what is this play about... Siblings. Life's different paths. Drugs. Other stuff.

One of the company's claims is that this play follows in the tradition of This is Our Youth and Hurlyburly, as well as another show that is also being produced in this year's Fringe Festival Tape. I guess that will give us all the opportunity to see if the claim is spot on, since you can see teh two shows and compare. In fact, that's exactly what I'd recommend doing. Go see Higher Power and Tape and tell me if they are similar. I may or may not make it to both, given the whole dice thing.

One of the things that the Higher Power folks are having to deal with, given their traveling to different Fringe Festivals, is the variety of performance spaces they've been assigned. They've had to adapt the show to fit each space, and that has has a distinct effect on the final product.

Because of the craziness of their scheduled Fringe tour, the show is only in town for the first weekend of the Fringe. You'll need to fit it in the first few days if you don't want to miss it.

Crazy Random Stuff


An Anagram for my name: Chided her risk port.

I went to Segovia yesterday. That was my second time to the castle town. I love that city. However, there's something about going on a guided tour that I could do without. More on that in a minute.

"Segovia: The Drinking Game!" -- Here's how you play. Go to Segovia, Spain. Take with you your alcohol of choice, a shot glass, and a tour guide named Pablo. During tour, take a shot each time Pablo says "Romanesque." There's a good chance that you'll be hammered before you make it the initial 200 meters from the bus to the Aquaduct.

I'm getting an odd warning everytime my computer starts up, and I'm really hoping I don't have a virus. I'm going straight to the Geek Squad when I get back home.

I paid 7 Euros for a value meal at Burger King the other day (yes, I broke down and ate at Burger King once during my stay here)... That's a $10 Value meal!!!

Who here isn't Hooked on Facts?: "Most lipstick contains fish scales." -- So did the meal that I ate the other night at a Senegalese restaurant.

I am going away now!

No comments: