Monday, August 03, 2009

Day 3 -- 8:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Voyages

Company: New Plymouth Players

Venue: UofM Rarig Center Arena

Die Roll: 7

As far as musicals in the Fringe go, this one surprised me with some of its accomplishments. First, there was a live orchestra. Granted, it was a small one, but the four-piece combo made up of a keyboard, cello, oboe, and percussion made for a wonderful musical experience that most other shows can't provide because they use canned accompaniment.

Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised that I could hear everyone well. Projection is a universal shortcoming for Fringe actors. I have no idea why, but it seems that over the last decade someone stopped teaching actors to speak loudly. Projection was not a problem at all with this show. I heard the singers loud and clear over the orchestra, and I understood the dialogue.

Now, the script wasn't the greatest thing on Earth, but it wasn't as full of holes as some of the other things I've seen this past weekend. The basic jist goes something like this: All-Powerful Shepherd-like-God-figure decides that for some arbitrary reason that the world's first man and woman must decide at this moment to become mortal or remain immortal. In order to help them with their decision, he provides a few stories for them to watch and become involved in. He also tells them of the advantages of being mortal and the disadvantages, as well. From the script, I gather that the main advantage is that you get to have sex, the main disadvantage is that you have to die. So... it's a slightly different take on that whole sex=death conundrum.

Granted, the stories show that being mortal allows for the inclusion of beauty and love in one's life, but they don't really resonate as the best arguments. Nor do the behavior of Man and Woman. In fact, I had a hard time believing that Man would change his mind. There was no build to convince me that he had decided that being mortal was truly what he wanted after he'd spent the entire play declaring that he'd rather be immortal like the moon, despite it meaning that he'd be lonely and unchangeable. He'd already displayed himself as unchangeable attitude-wise, so it seemed natural.

This was a high-quality community theatre production. Now, as a professional actor and director, you might think that I use the term "Community Theatre" to mean a level below professional. Sometimes that may be true, but not in this case. This captures what community theatres ought to be doing. It clearly provided many people with a great theatrical experience. AND it provided them with support and training that elevated them to a new level of performance quality. Were I an amateur thespian, I would be proud to be involved in a show like this one. It is full of energy. It is well-rehearsed. It has a feeling of artistic vision realized.

Are there places where it falls short? Sure. But, as I've seen throughout the last six years of writing about the Fringe, almost all shows have that. I was entertained for an hour, and I enjoyed this show.

TEN WORD SUMMARY: Moons or Bananas? Odd choice to have to make. Choose!

Rating: d12 - "A Heckuva Lotta Fun"

1 comment:

Michael Sheeks said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comments! I agree with everything you say, and I wrote the darn thing. :)