Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Day 4 -- 4:00 p.m. Time Slot

Show: The Pizpor Show

Company: The Pizpor Show

Venue: Gremlin Theatre

Die Roll: None (My daughter chose this show)


I've noted over the years that my daughter has a fascination with magic. Not the little girl likes fairies kind of fascination, but an honest to goodness interest in prestidigitation. It's been a while since we made the trip to the magic store, but I'm sure that seeing this show with her stirred the passion again. I'm hoping she wants a rope trick. What she told me in the car afterward was "I want to learn to make balloon animals".

Anyway... The Pizpor show is a magic show that points out just how important the patter is between the tricks. In fact, this show is almost entirely patter. There are a handful of tricks done through out, and always under the conceit that the magician is piss poor (note: sound out the show's name). He isn't bad at all. His tricks are varied and fun. And in the face of hecklers (there were active hecklers at this performance) he holds his own with self-depricating humor.

I really enjoyed this show, as did my daughter. It was a low-key show that totally worked with the senario put forth as its premise. We were watching a street performance by a somewhat charismatic (though not too much) guy who wanted to be the best street performance we saw that evening... if only it weren't for that saxophonist we kept hearing nearby and the mime around the block!

The audience participation was fun. I even got invovled a couple of times, albeit not on purpose!

TEN WORD SUMMARY: Endearing street magician is just trying to catch a break, Bob!

Rating: d12 - "A Heckuva Lotta Fun"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. Your comments are super kind and truly appreciated. We were definitely not what the Fringe masses were looking to explore, but we are happy you and your daughter stopped by to share a few laughs. Best wishes.