Saturday, August 01, 2009

Day 3 -- The Beginning

It's Saturday at the MN Fringe Festival. That means there are many more shows than on the other days. I'll be seeing seven. I think. There's a good chance I'll actually see six. Something about needing to eat in the midst thereof.

I've not seen anything at the Southern this year, nor the Playwrights Center. Both of those statements will be false by the end of today.

Now... I explained recently the whole concept of rolling dice and how I do the Fringe generally. You may have noticed that I rate things by dice, too. I thought I'd re-explain that system of scoring for your pleasure and information: there are six types of dice that are standard in tabletop Role Playing Games (RPGs). They are the four-sided, the six-sided, the eight-sided, the ten-sided, the twelve-sided, and the twenty-sided. They are abbreviated as d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20, respectively. I use them to rank the plays I see. So... d4 is the lowest ranking and d20 is the highest. I normally post a key phrase that describes what each ranking means at the time that I give them.

Eventually (read: in a day or two), I'll have a web page that has a comprehensive list of all my rankings of all the shows that you can access. There's just no time until the first weekend of the Fringe is done, though.

____________________

Who wants a heaping helping of random?

  • I just mailed a DVD of one of my shows to the guy who invented the Klingon language!
  • Brown thread.
  • When a person comes over to my house who is allergic to cats, I put one of them away behind closed doors. The other one tends to shy away from strangers, so I leave her out. today, she was not her normal self and tried to get to the lady with allergies adamantly.
  • Trivia time!: "Whale oil was used in automobile transmissions as late as 1973." - It was actually the event of my birth that stopped this practice. Since that time, smashed bananas have replaced whale oil. The last two statements were completely untrue. I have no idea what replaced whale oil in transmission fluid, only that the fluid hasn't tasted quite as good ever since.
  • I got three books back last night that I had lent to a friend a few years ago. I'd forgotten that the books existed. It was like a surprise gift from said friend. Best part? She gave me this gift on her birthday!
  • 593,200

No comments: