Monday, August 03, 2009

Day 4 -- 1 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Made Up: Confessions of a Counter Girl

Company: La Coeur Da Vie Theatre

Venue: UofM Rarig Center Arena

Die Roll: None (This show was my daughter's choice)


First, while this show is listed as something for Ages 10+, I would have to disagree. Yes, there isn't anything in it that is inappropriate for youngsters. However, to truly identify with the show, you ought to be at least 16. That is, you need to have had your first experience with having had a retail job.

While my 10 year-old daughter didn't really grasp much of this show, I enjoyed it. Having dealt with customers and been on the behind-the-counter side of life, I appreciated much of what this show was about. And the characters that Jennifer J. Phillips put forth were a lot of fun. Distinct and well-formed.

It did seem that for the first few minutes the transitions between characters weren't as crisp as they ought to have been, but once Phillips settled in things clicked wonderfully. I loved her main character and wanted her to succeed, but I also completely understood when she didn't. All of the forces around her conspired to create an inhospitable world that is so familiar, so frightening.

Two characters stuck out for me. I especially enjoyed the teen goth girl who after seeking make-up advice ran to her mother accusing the sales lady of insulting her. I also enjoyed the rich lady who kept calling in and changing her appointment. Wonderful.

Another little high point: free lipstick candy at the door! Yay!

TEN WORD SUMMARY: Putting your face on can reveal so much about characters.

Rating: d10 - "Worth Going To"

No comments: