Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Critical Hits and Critical Misses

In the gaming industry (read: dice and book based role-playing games) there is a concept that many games share. That is the idea that sometimes a die roll can be so good or so bad that special things happen. Things that aren't otherwise on the standard charts.

Well, as I was talking to a fellow gamer whilst in Madrid (actually, on a bus back from Segovia... Hi Josh!), I realized that my charts that I use to roll for what show to see next didn't include "crits."

So, what does this mean? Well, in any given hour there are not 20 shows performing. However, my die has 20 sides. Normally that means that a few randomly determined shows have a slightly better chance at being rolled. That still remains the case, but... now #1 and #20 don't designate shows any more. Nope.

Here's what happens... If I roll a 20 (in gaming often known as a 'natural 20'), I get to choose which show I go to. That's my Critical Hit. It's my little bonus to myself for rolling so well. And, if I roll a 1 (often known as a 'botch'), then I don't get so see a show in that slot at all.

I'm not sure how that will affect anything. I don't recall rolling too many of either of those over the past two years of doing the dice thing. However, any given roll could have a critical come up...

Incidentally, in case you want to play along on the home game, I will be posting my charts for the first day in just a little bit. You, too, can then enjoy the Fringe Festival randomly. Wouldn't that be fun? I recommend it highly.

No comments: