Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I've got your Top-10 right here, baby!

Well, the powers that be are asking for my list of top ten shows going into the Fringe. I've got to tell you, that I normally don't put together such a ranking, and yet this year the simplicity of this kind of list appeals to me greatly. So... I'll be doing just that. Are you ready? Here's my Top-10 shows (Pre-Fringe Sssstyle!)

1. Screwed to the Sticking Place -- Even if I weren't producing this show, I'd recommend it highly. Why? Let's just say that at rehearsal last night I was in tears from laughing so hard. The ladies in this show are amazing in every possible way. The scenes are touching, funny, sad, and important. The characters are timeless but are now more accessible than ever.

2. The Afterlife Project, or 'She's Just Sleeping' and Other Lies Your Mother Told You About Death -- There are two reasons for me to recommend this show... three really... 1). This show has the longest title of any show in the Fringe. 2). Danielle Siver is part of the cast, and she rocks my world every time I see her on stage or off. 3). Brian O'Neal is also acting in the project, and is by far one of my favorite actors to work with in town, I respect his craft and his artistry, and support anything he puts forth.

3. Bent -- Technically this show tied with Tape as the shortest title in the Fringe, but because it has a short-E sound, and the other show has a long-A sound, I deemed Bent to be shortest by the power of vowel. This show has been done a number of times in town, but not for a few years. It seems to be about time to see it again.

4. The Balcony Scene -- In The Basement Productions is one of my favorite companies in town. Their stuff is always solid, and the preview of this show that I saw earlier in the year made me believe that this will be a huge success. It's the beginning of a great season that ITBP has planned for 2006-2007 (Did I mention that said season includes a show directed by yours truly?)

5. The Musicker's Balalaika -- This is the very first show of this year's Fringe. It is the only one at 4 p.m. on Thursday... So... I guarantee that I will be in attendance, because no matter what I roll (with the exception of a 1, but more on that later), I will attend this show. I recommend you join me... Let's give them one helluva crowd for the first performance!

6. Dancing Rats and Vampire Moms -- Hardcover Theater and Nancy Donoval combine their efforts to bring you tales of Mothers. This is the Mother of all story telling shows (I'm sorry, bad joke). That mom in "Mama Gone" is one bad Mother--Shut Your Mouth!--Just talking 'bout Nancy's story...

7. Woman -- For the full and complete Fringe experience, you've not only got to take in the very first performance (Listed above at #5), you've got to take in the very last show (listed right here at #7). This is the only show at 9 p.m. on Sunday the 13th.

8. Best of the 24 Hour Plays -- Theatre Unbound makes me happy...generally. When it comes down to it, they are on the cutting edge of feminist theatre. Now, what do I mean by that? Well, it empowers females without bashing those of us in the male universe. Anyway... I've written for the 24-hour play festival in the past (once in the modern era, and three times in the time before that)...In fact, it was through these festivals that I first met Matthew Foster (Fringe Web Master) and Matthew Everett (Fellow Blogger). And how I co-wrote a play with each of them.

9. The Depth of the Ocean -- This is the show that takes place in a pool. It is also Matthew Everett's top choice. I'll be writing one more article on this show before it opens, so I'll save the rest of my comments for that one.

10. Johan Santana's Perfect Game -- Did I mention that I love baseball? Football, too, but baseball is a wonderful thing. I once read that the quickest way to get a grown man to cry is to get them thinking about baseball and their dad. I don't know it that's true, but I know that some of my fave memories of growing up were attending Rangers games with my dad, and some of my fave memories as a dad have been taking my daughter to see Twins and Saints games.

So there you go... 10 shows that I recommend seeing. I also recommend seeing a bunch of others. My advice: seek out the ones that aren't getting as much buzz. If you come across the name and think "I've never heard of that one," then go to it... be the first person to post a review on it. Be the person who finds that hidden gem in the Fringe Festival. That's what this this is really about.

No comments: