Friday, August 04, 2006

Day 1 -- 7:00 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Thanks for the Scabies, Jerkface!

Company: Dan Bernitt

Venue: Interact

Die roll: 4



Again, I found myself in the same theatre as Matthew Everett... while this means that you can compare the opinion of at least two bloggers on the same performance, it seems like my random die roll is not separating me from my fellows at all effectively.

Getting two things out in the open: I do not like this venue. The pillars are evil. If you go to Interact, sit in the center-most section so you can watch all the action despite the big wooden obstructions. Also, I don't generally like one-man shows.

Now, I really need to add a qualifier to that last statement. I actually hold one-man shows to a higher standard than many people do. I ask that they reach the level of any other play. In some instances they do that, and then I like them. I produced one in the fringe back in 2002. It was not my own one-man show, I should be clear about that. But why, if I generally dislike the genre, would I produce one... well, that one told a story...effectively. And that's part of what I'm asking for. Give me a little reason to care.

Now...Thanks for the Scabies, Jerkface! started out slightly better than most one-man shows that are of the let-me-tell-you-anecdotes-from-my-life style. Normally, these types of shows are told by people who have yet to work out their issues in a productive way, and so they write a show and use theatre as therapy. I don't have time to watch that.

Dan Bernitt approaches his own life as material for the show, but it is clear that it isn't therapy. So...good. A point for Dan. He also speaks very articulately and energeticly...just like he's putting on a play, not just a recitation of personal stories. Good. Two points for Dan. And the comedy will well-executed. There's a third point for Dan.

Dan Bernitt has a very poetic method of delivery. Not surprising as he sometimes plys his trade as a performance poet. However, in this show, the prose sections are more effective than the poetry.

The stories are entertaining, but left me with a bit of a "Why are you telling me this?" feel. Dan seemed more like the drunk friend at a party relating stories for his buddies' amusement, not because of bad presentation, but because there was no through line. Other than the fact that the guy in front of us was charming, there was no reason for us to care about him as a character in his own stories.

I can recognize this as a well put-together show that will appeal to some, but I cannot accept it as good theatre. If you like the monologue form, then it might be for you, however. For me, it reminds me of something that one of my professors at UNO calls "Me"-moir.

Wrapping it up in 10 words: Gay man gets infected. Bugs haunt relationships. Do I care?

RATING: "d8 - Not Bad, Not Great"

No comments: