Sunday, August 07, 2005

Day 3 -- 2:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Treading Lightly
Company: Melissa Brown and Dancers
Venue: Intermedia Arts
Die Roll: 4

I'm a little frustrated by the venue here. This is the "Scent-Free" location of the Fringe. What does that mean? Well, it means that when you walk in, you get a little flyer that informs you about folks who have allergies to artificial scents. It also means that you are confronted with a request (via a sign) that you remove yourself to teh bathroom to wash off anby scented materials you might be wearing.

I wear cologne. Not an overwhelming amount, but some. I wear anti-perspirant, not unlike most Americans. I use a scented moisturizer as the fellahs from Queer Eye have told me is immensely important for my skin.

I must admit, I didn't go bathe myself prior to going into the show, but I also sat there feeling a litle guilty about it. That is...until I saw the show.

The show was a series of dances all choreographed by Melissa Brown. The choreography was technically interesting, but there didn't seem to be a single storyline to the dances. Now, not every dance requires a storyline. However, that being gone, I expect the presentation to be so strong that the dances survive on their own merit. Unfortunately, the dancers were either at varied levels of skill, or they were rehearsed for different lengths of time (even within the same dance).

I was confused as to whether the dancers were supposed to look that drastically different desptie doing the same steps, or if it was merely imprecision.

I guess that's the entirety of my thoughts on that. Otherwise it basically bored me.

RATING: "d6 - Has Some Merit

No comments: