Sunday, August 07, 2005

Day 4 -- 2:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Stripped

Company: Ballet of the Dolls

Venue: Southern Theater

Die Roll: 2

The moment the soundtrack for this show hits your ears, you realize just how much of a technical advantage those companies that were lucky enough to get into the Southern have over the other venues. Yowsa! As of right now, were I to put up a show at the Fringe, that's the venue I'd choose. The lighting and sound possibilties more than make up for the fact that you have to deal with a Marley floor.

Anyway, let's talk about "The Dolls." If you've been around here in the TC for any length of time, you've heard of this company. It is a resident group that works well together, and has for years. It is best known for the show it did for years called Nutcracker: Not So Sweet.

So, you might guess that this was a well-danced show. It was.

And I'm sure that much of what went on in the show was very good in telling a story, if you had enough information to process what the heck they were doing. Here's the problem. This show is about phobias. That's not a problem in and of itself, what is a problem, is that they address 8 phobias, and I'm only familiar with two of them. A list of definitions would've been useful. What fears were being addressed is important to know if one is to understand the show in its entirety. Which I can't say I did. The movements sure were pretty, though. I'll look up the other six when I get home and have my dictionary available to me.

RATING: "d10 - Worth Going To"

No comments: