Thursday, August 11, 2005

Day 7 -- 7:00 p.m. Time Slot

Show: THAC0

Company: Council of Doom

Venue: Acadia

Die Roll: 14

I can't escape the Acadia!!!! There's no a/c in there!

So, This was a sold-out performance of a show about gamers. Who knew that gamers and theatre people went so well together! Oh, wait. I did. In fact, the group that I played with for years, back when I lived in Iowa, met in our Acting I class.

But before we get that far along in my gaming history, I must bring you into the world of gaming. This show does that by the narration of one character who actually starts the show with words pulled from the introduction of the Players Handbook of AD&D.

For me, D&D started as a game that my family played one weekend. We bad the "basic" boxed set, and my mom was the Dungeon Master. My brother played a magic user, my dad was a fighter, and I was a halfling. We got to the first encounter of the sample adventure that was provided in the box, and my mom instantly slaughtered all of us. Game over. It was from that fateful beginning that I launched into a career of RPG gaming and, more importantly, designing and writing.

This show, THAC0, hit home for me, but it also showed me things that I try to leave in my past. So it was a bit of forced nostalgia. I enjoyed it, but at the same time saw things that brought me back to the way I once was. Ugh!

When one character purges his belongings in order to get rid of all the needless crap that gamers accumulate, I saw myself. All three times I've done that. It's sad, really. I need to do that again.

This is the first show I gave a standing ovation to, personally.

RATING: "d20 - One of the Best"

No comments: