Monday, August 15, 2005

Show: Preacher Seeks Choir

Company: Phil Tippit

Venue: Minneapolis Theatre Garage

Die Roll: 8

From the moment I walked into the theatre, I figured this had to be something unlike what I'd originally been expecting, given the title. The sound system was playing the song "Big Balls." Not exactly the churchy song I thought was going to be cmoing my way.

So, I eventually put together that Phil wasn't doing a religious show, he was attempting to make a play on the phrase "Preaching to the choir." He need s a "choir" who agrees with him, in order for his rant to have any positive effect, so it is a fitting title, once you've thought it out.

I say rant, because that is what this show is. It is merely a guy bitching about the world for an hour. The script is spotty, comedy sketchy (and I don't mean in a BNW way), and the whole thing was filled with needless unmotivated swearing and numerous mentions about how the show is constantly being revised and went better the last time he told it. Odd.

I'm frightened that he's considering doing this again next year. Phil, get yourself a director, fast.

RATING: "d4 - Not Worth the Time"

No comments: