Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Day 6 -- 10:00 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Chicks in Space

Company: Theatre Unbound

Venue: Intermedia Arts

Die Roll: 8

Back to the scent-free venue. This time I made sure I was, indeed, scent-free.

And I saw a fun and whimsical show that made me smile. At 10 p.m. on a Tuesday, that's just what I was looking for.

Theatre Unbound is the female-centric theatre group here in the Twin Cities. They put on shows that are by women and about women without being harshly anti-male. Initially I heard about them doing a play about a group of women who decide to leave planet Earth, and I assumed that it was going to be about getting away from the evil that is men. Nope. That isn't mentioned at all. That makes me happy. This play was about the female charcters, their relationships, their doubts and dreams.

Some of the best moments: Encountering the "Frightenoids," and the visit to Nursery 42.

One thing that may confuse a little is the Salt Monster. But if you listen to the mantra of the monster ("Turn Back"), you can accept that in one way or another he symbolizes the doubts and failures of the crew.

RATING: "d12 - A Heckuva Lotta Fun"

No comments: