Monday, August 08, 2005

Day 4 -- 7 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Meditations on Arion

Company: Nautilus Music Theater

Venue: Illusion

Die Roll: 1

Well, Jennifer Baldwin Peden is blond again! Upon arriving back in America earlier this month, one of the first things I saw on TV was a Slumberland advertisement starring Jen and a little girl, both brunettes. So, I was thinking of her in that way. Not that that has any relevence on this show at all, but it is the first thing I noticed when she hit the stage.

The presentation starts with a long monologue about the nature of drowning. I figure this is a good place for this show to start since last year's Fringe offering ended with the drowning of Virginia Woolf. Why not start right where Nautilus left off last year?

One of the nice things about Jennifer is her overwhelmingly positive stage presence. I hadn't expected this show to start with all sorts of talk with no singing, but it does. And yet, I didn't mind. I discovered that with the right delivery, it is possible to listen to a pseudo-scientific analysis of drowning all day long.

Once Jen started to sing, the beauty of her voice, the passion she put into her songs, the interactions between her and the trio of instrumentalists that joined her on stage was captivating.

I kept meaning to take notes on this performance, but I have a lot of blank space because I was sucked in to what was going on onstage.

RATING - "d20 - One of the Best"

No comments: