Friday, August 12, 2005

Day 8 -- 8:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Never Surrender's Greatest Adventures

Company: Never Surrender

Venue: Loring Playhouse

Die Roll: 19

Now, of the members of the Fringe Festival staff, I think I am alone in my assessment of this show, but here's the thing... It isn't good theatre. What it is, is a Saturday Night Live skit that has gone on far too long. The gimmick of an entirely lip-synced (dialogue, too) is funny for a brief bit of time, but that's about it.

The lyp-syncing isn't even that good. The lip-temble of the "lead singer" doesn't mimic actual singing technique, although the rest of his stuff is actually pretty good. The hijinx/dopey-looks of Mike P. (the sometimes keyboardist/sometimes bassist) continually distract from the show by upstaging the rest of what is going on.

The plot is straight out of Scooby Do, and that doesn't bother me, but the rest of the show did.

The other two who were with me walked out of this show. I wanted to, but felt obligated to continue on.

Now, I understand that these guys are fun to have at a party. But when I want to see a show at the Fringe Festival, I'll skip them.

RATING: "d6 - Has Some Merit"

No comments: