Thursday, August 04, 2005

Day 1 -- 8:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Is She Yours? And Other Questions: An Adoption Story
Company: Lisa's Ink
Venue: MCTC Studio (for real this time!)
Die Roll: 14

I don't know what to say. I'm wanting to blame my thoughts on this show on what might be opening night jitters. But more likely it was just bad.

This is the author's own story about the recent adoption of her daughter. It tackled tough topics, but failed to deliver a point of view that would demand being told. Essentially, I was bored. Not only by the material, but by the performance itself.

I'm a little concerned at what I'm about to say. Apparently, the main actress is a theatre prof at Gustavus Adolphus. Two of the minor characters are students there, or recent graduates. The students have surpassed the master. The girls were far better prepared and they were better performers generally. Unfortunately, they were the supporting cast.

I'm not a fan shows that are merely "ME"-moir. And when a playwright puts themselves forth as the main character, I hope that they have the sense to present themselves as interesting. And if they can act that out, then I'm more or less okay. BUT!!! Normally, memoir shows are not dramatically sound, and they are too closely attached to the author to be well-acted. This is the case here.

Beyond that, I can't say anything good, so I'll say nothing more.

RATING: "d4 - Not Worth The Time"

No comments: