Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Day 5 -- 11:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Tantrums, Testicles, and Trojans

Company: Empty S Productions

Venue: Theatre Garage

Die Roll: 19 (as if it matters, it is the only show in this time slot)

Finally a show that stands out for high praise! Now, this is not to say that I haven't seen good shows thus far. I have dubbed two as some of the best in the Fringe. However, my overall Fringe experience this year has been one of mediocrity. Following the roll of the dice last year uncovered a number of treasures, and this year even the successful shows that I've attended weren't as memorable, nor as daring, nor as exceptional as their counterparts from last year. So, it is with great joy that I saw Michael Shaeffer's show last night.

The show is just Michael center stage reciting his poetry. But there is something special about his poetry. It dares to not take itself seriously. The poetry that is featured in this show is well-written, well-informed, and well... just plain funny. Other reviews I've read have commented that certain poems went too far down the road of impropriety, but I beg to differ. Homer and Marge Simpson's sexual encounters are immensely funny.

Intellectual and pop-cultural topics are lampooned side by side, and sometimes within the same breath. There is only one other poet that I've heard that is comparable, and that is Ari Hoptman. Brilliant stuff.

I would recommend this show to anyone old enough to be out past midnight in Minneapolis.

In fact, because it is often the only show in its time slot (occasionally it is up against the Scrimshaw Brothers), I'm assuming that I'll get to see it at least one more time, and thus far it is the only show in the Fringe that I would want to see a second time.

RATING: "d20 - One of the Best"

No comments: