Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Day 6 -- 8:30 p.m. Time Slot

Show: DB Cooper Didn't Die

Company: Cheap Theater

Venue: Interact Theater

Die Roll: 2

I've sort of wondered what happened to Cheap Theater over the last few years. When I moved to the Twin Cities 7 years ago, they produced stuff with relative regularity. Not so much any more. Their shows have always been of good quality, and this show is no exception. Erica Christ's gang puts on a show that informs and entertains. Highlights include performances by Joshua Scrimshaw and Laura Wiebers. Scrimshaw takes the show to all sorts of new levels during a scene in which he plays both characters in a bar talking about holding a DB Cooper-themed party. Wiebers is one of a number of characters who took their places among the audience. He character often butted in with inane comments of a conspiracy theorist.

One doesn't have to know the story of DB Cooper to ejony this show. The company provides all the info you need. I had no knowledge of the hijacking that this play is about. It happened two years to the day before I was born.

I laughed a lot at this, and came away feeling enriched, too. That's something that is a first for this year's Fringe.

I've got a new show to put in my top five.

RATING: "d20 - One of the Best"

No comments: