Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Correction: Apology

In an earlier post (now amended to correct the earlier error), I wrote about CalibanCo's space, and through a misunderstanding, the situation around the lease that they are currently negotiating. At that time negotiations had not begun, and I am happy to report that through further communication with the parties involved, I have found out that YPC (Youth Performance Company) had nothing to do with the delay in negotiations. That was the understanding with which I wrote the earlier comments. However, after speaking with Calibanco's artistc director, Christi Cottrell (one of the nicest people on Earth) and Jackie Knight (I'm sorry if I've misspelled that, Jackie, I've never known how to spell it) of Youth Performance Company, it is clear that YPC is fully behind the development of new companies blossoming in the Twin Cities, especially Calibanco, who is their neighbor.

I want to apologize for the confusion my earlier comments caused. I will put forth two things that were in the earlier column, but in a different context... 1) Calibanco is an immense boon to the theatre community here in the Twin Cities, and I second the columns of fellow blogger, Matthew A. Everett who pointed them out for their generosity and support of the Fringe this year. 2) From an earlier column, which is still on this site in an unamended form, Youth Performance Company's Fringe show "Goddess Menses and the Menstrual Show" is a great production, which since its inception a couple of years ago has been a great success for the group, and I'm hoping that this isn't the last time that it is produced. I originally mentioned the production in my column about "Meaning-of-life" plays, and how despite the young age of the authors how much wisdom was contained therein. It is productions like these that makes YPC what it is. Ms. Knight has given teens (and other youths) a place to say what they've got to say, when other places might not. That's a bold and beautiful thing. Side thing: This production was the most reviewed show in the Fringe, and it still managed a complete 5-star rating...that speaks tothe quality and the art.

No comments: