Saturday, August 14, 2004

Day 9: The Summation

I just got back from Theatre de la Jeune Lune, and I'm just too tuckered out to do a show by show break down like I have every other day. So... you get it all in one fell swoop.

I started my day by rolling the dice and getting A Good Year for Garanimals. I enjoyed all of the performances that made up this Spoken Word Fringe entry. However, I'd like to point out one person specifically. Dot Cleveland. She is a performer who I gave a horrible review earlier in this blog. I still stand by that review. However, I also say that the performances she gave in this collection of monologues were absolutely great. One was a story of her growing up in the woods, and another was the story of "Little Red Cap" which was a variant on Little Red Ridinghood. Both were electric with the excitement that she was putting into the tales. It was a refreshing change from when I saw her "LoveWise" performance. Clearly, though, she is a good story teller and that former performance was an off night.

After that I returned to another episode of "Mouth" by Nancy Donoval and Gerald Fierst. It was superb again. I'm hoping that these two performers are going to be a recurring part of my Fringing for years to come, if not a part of my life. I broke my own self-enforced blogging rules to attend this show. I didn't roll dice. I just decided that the first time I saw it was so powerful, that I could not miss a second version of the show. They promised that every show was different, and the two shows were completely unalike, except in the fact that they were both moving worthwhile conversations.

The last Fringy thing I did today was performing in the final showing of "Dandelion Snow." A few words... I loved doing this show with this cast, and I'll work with any one of them again. The Playwright, too. Matthew blessed us with a terrific script to start with. With that said, I'm so glad this show is done. Talk about an energy-suck of colossal vacuum/black hole proportions. Writing a blog, acting in two shows, and doing all the preparation that goes into directing another show is too much to do, especially with the mini-soap-opera that went on with this show. I love shows with directors who are skilled, insightful, and over all decent people. I think I'll do one of those next time.

At last it was off to Origami for sushi before a performance of Carmen.

I'm looking forward to the last day of the Fringe... see you then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving me a second chance and also for speaking your mind. It is through honest feedback that an artist improves and I treasure both your reviews. Dot Cleveland