Saturday, August 07, 2004

Lokasenna

Friday, August 06, 2004
5:30 p.m. Time Slot
Die Roll: 11
Show result: Lokasenna, MCTC Whitney Studio

You ay remember that before the Fringe Festival started, there was a preview that I attended at Balls Cabaret late one night. And you might also remember that I, at that time, did not want to mention any of the shows that were really bad, so as not to ruin their initial chances of having a good show at their opening. Okay, so this one is now officially opened, and I can be sure that I didn't cause its demise. Nope, it did that unto itself.

For some shows, a preview performance does wonders for getting the word-of-mouth going. This one didn't win anyone over with that Balls Cabaret performance. First, the good news: by its Friday evening opening Lokasenna had improved greatly. Now, the bad news: it still needs to get much better to be good.

A thought: Do Not apologize for your show in a curtain speech. The Program already says that it is a work-in-progress. That's enough. Most shows at the Fringe are still works in progress. To tell us repeatedly that it is, is basically telling us that there's a good chance that we won't like the show.

Two good points: The fella who plays Loki in this collection of myths from the Edda (Norse myth cycle), is going to be a good actor someday. And the girl who plays Hel and Freya will be a good singer someday. But they both need a lot of training in their respective fields.

The play itself is week, the songs are not good, and the direction was painful, as was the performance of the actress who played Thor. Ooh! Another highlight...The two pit band members were occasionally called upon to "act" as well, and they were entertaining.

Okay... So now that I got the good things out of the way, let me tell you that I am not pleased with having had to go to this show. And, I'm hoping that there is no way that it couls come up on my charts again.

Someone may like this show more than I did. I'm guessing that a list of potential admirers would include the families of the performers, and anyone who really enjoys supporting the work of underdeveloped talent. If you want to feel good about yourself in that "I did a favor for some kids who need encouragement"-kind of way...I say go for it. If you want to enjoy an hour at the Fringe, stay away.

No comments: