Thursday, August 05, 2004

The Random Theme 2

Still trying to capture the random feeling of what this column will feel like starting tomorrow... So here we go...

  • I asked another random friend for a new random topic today, and her response was "Broccoli." Great! I like broccoli the vegetable, but more importantly I loved Broccoli the Bear. For whatever reason, my first three teddy bears were all named Broccoli. None were green, but they all shared that name. I've never known why kids choose certain names for their pets and stuffed animals. I had a stuffed frog named Salt and a stuffed dog named Pepper. These three constituted all the stuffed animals I owned that were named for food. That was a partial theme, I guess. My little brother, Tim, had a stuffed Gorilla/Ape that kept changing names. I know it had more, but at one time is was George, and it eventually ended up as Fred. I do have a Teddy Bear still (odd admission to make here, I guess), but it's name is Nigel. I no longer have any of the incarnations of Broccoli, but I think the last one survived until I was in high school. Disclaimer: It should be noted that having a Teddy Bear and sleeping with one are two different things.
  • A discussion has broken out over my column about the purpose of theater. Oddly enough the discussion is happening on Matt Fotis' s blog. Now, Matt Foster has started a new forum at Vox Fringe where this discussion could be taking place. I'm recommending that it relocates there. It is an interesting bit of banter, and it even got an indirect mention in Tipper Jensen's blog. Oh the fun!
  • The average number of squirts from a cow's udder that are needed to yield a gallon of milk is 345. That right there makes me glad I'm not a cow. It also incidentally makes me glad I'm not a dairy farmer. I have new respect for farmers that still milk by hand, though.
  • I have co-written plays with fellow bloggers Matthew Everett and Matthew Foster. It is my hope to eventually co-write plays with each of this year's bloggers. I'm anxiously awaiting their phone calls.
  • One of my fave actors in town is Heather Stone, who I worked with for Theatre Unbound recently. She'll be appearing in 23 Across. Another is Fred Wagner, who I've worked with at the History Theatre and Pillsbury House. He's appearing in MacBlank. These two are performers that I hate to miss. I'm hoping my dice let me see them.
  • Tonight is the night that I rejoin the cast of "Carmen" at Theatre de la Jeune Lune. Once the Fringe is done, or if you want a brief break from Fringing, come see it. The show closes August 30th. Ooh! That reminds me, I have to get my butt over there for a meeting about the guy who'll be understudy-ing me so I can do Dandelion Snow at the MCTC Whitney Mainstage, too.
  • Today's bit from www.hookedonfacts.com: "Kermit the frog delivered the commencement address at Southampton College located in the state of New York in 1996." -- Thing is that this was after Jim Henson's death, so it really doesn't matter that much. I'd've killed to hear the speech by Henson's Kermit. Steve Whitmire's Kermit, not so much.
  • I may or may not have transportation for the evening of Tuesday the 10th. Anyone have a bike they'd want to lend me so I can do my Fringe responsibilities? Better yet...anyone want to drive me around to see randomly determined shows? Jeez! I hope I have my car that night!

That's enough for now... chat at you soon!

No comments: