Saturday, August 14, 2004

Day 8: The beginning

Today's fringing started with a quick bit of phone calling to find Fringe Buddies. I lined up a couple of folks who were willing to see a randomly selected show with me. It has gotten pretty lonely at some of the venues, doing my fringe this way. Sure, I see people that I know at each venue, but it isn't the same as going to a show with someone and having someone to swap sotries with. So today'll be nice.

Random stuff:
  • I'm going back to an old established way to come up with my random topic for the day, I'm asking someone else for a topic. I sent my daughter to her mother, who sent back the word "Pan." So, I figure this means that I'm looking at either talking about the Greek God of the Wild, or I'm going to talk about cooking. Since I haven't eaten yet this morning, cooking and breakfast are coming to mind. When I cook, I like to make things without following recipes. I just like to make things that I think will taste good together. I "worked" for my family one summer cooking all the meals and doing all the planning, etc. and that helped me acquire enough rudimentary knowledge of the mechanics of good cooking, that I'm never terribly unsuccessful in my culinary experiments. Although most of what I cook doesn't have a name, at least that I know of.
  • A note to those people who talk down to little kids: They aren't stupid. In fact, I would contend that my daughter has more mental accuity and agility than I do at any given moment. She's five. The thing is, I still have vivid memories about life at 5. I understood the what I was saying, what the grown-ups were saying, and pretty much everything else that was going on in my immediate universe. I didn't understand everything, but I got enough that I didn't need to be talked in cutesie child-speak.
  • Today's fact from www.hookedonfacts.com: "Almonds are a member of the peach family." -- Kind of explains why an almond in its shell looks like a peach pit and vice-versa.
  • What goes up, must come down...spinning wheel, gotta spin 'round.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always felt that kids know more than you think they do, they don't always make sense, but they see the world from a fresher happier view... I like kids, talking down to them is like talking down to you mother... bad idea