Monday, August 16, 2004

Day 10: The End

This is the way the Fringe ends. About half of the performers and most of the staff congregate at Fringe Central late at night to enjoy a beverage or two, or three, or four. In my case it was merely one martini. With two olives. For me the most important part of a Martini is the olives. In fact, If you filled a cocktail glass with olives and then put in the requisite amount of gin to cover them and allowed them to soak, that would be the perfect Martini for me. I actually pass judgement on bars and nightclubs on how well they follow my instructions and requests regarding the olives. If I say "Tanqueray Martini-up-lots of olives" and it comes with two. That's not so cool. If it comes with 4 on a little cocktail sword, that's a little better. If they dump the olives in the glass, that's great... And the best I've ever had was at the Monte Carlo in the warehouse disctrict of Minneapolis where the server brought me a glass chock full of olives soaked in Gin and vermouth as well as another tumbler full of olives on the side. She got a 100% tip from me that evening.

Anyway, for me who'd not eaten since breakfast (big meal, but not recent enough for heavy drinking), one beverage was more than enough to make me unable to drive for a while. And so instead I chatted with Geral Fierst and Nancy Donoval for a while, as well as a couple of other "Mouth" groupies (if you can call Nancy's boyfriend a groupie). And I also chatted with a few others, including a few of the folks who used to make "Horror Incorporated" at Channel 45. One of my favorite up-and-coming playwrights Brian Watson-Jones was there with his Girlfriend, whose name I still don't know, and talking with them was a lot of fun as usual.

After a while we all got called up on the stage to be recognized for our contributions to the Fringe this year. That was nice.

I enjoyed this whole voyage this year, so I hope I get to do it again next year, especialy since I won't be able to do much of anything else for the Fringe, since my July will be in Spain or France as part of my Graduate degree work. Hard to rehearse a play for Fringe in another country.

Well... since the "Best Of The Fringe" shows is going up over the next couple of weeks, I'll probably write a bit about that when it happens. Until then, toodles!!