Saturday, August 14, 2004

Day 8: 1 p.m. Time Slot

Show: Fast Fringe 2: The Ecstacy
Die Roll: 9
Venue: Loring Playhouse
Company: The Spanish Ladies

Okay, so something that I've mentioned before... I'm a playwright. Specifically, I am a playwright that has up until recently focused on the short play format. The ten- minute play specifically. So I was glad that at least one of the "Fast Fringe" shows came up, even if it was #2. The subtitle "The Ecstacy" is the more positive of the two, so I was hopeful that that was a good sign.

This production was five ten-minute shows. I liked some, I didn't like others and the acting and direction were inconsistent at best. The ladies were generally better actors than the men, and it seemed that some plays received far more attention in rehearsal than the other ones.

The hour started with the least impressive of the works. "All About Words." All I can say about it was that it had me wondering "MY GOD! Is this what happens to my plays when I send them in to contests?!"

But the production quickly rebounded with a well written and well performed "Limbo Lounge." A play about the place that re-written characters go to die.

Plays #3-#5 didn't standout to me in any special way, except to say that I still didn't like the play that involved a father as a hired killer.

Anyway... I'm glad that the Frigne now has its own 10-minute festival, I'm just hoping that the quality continues to improve as it gets produced year after year.

No comments: